poster 2016

poster 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

May 21-22 weekend: Staying with host families!

Our students met up with their host family on Friday (afternoon) and spent the weekend with them.
Everyone came back with big smiles and it seemed that they had a VERY good time with them.  It is so difficult to see the real  family lifestyle when you are staying at a student dormitory, so I believe this home-stay experience definitely enlightened their understanding on the Japanese culture and lifestyle.  A lot of them told me how nice their family was and miss them already!    I hope this encounter will give them a life-long treasure.  I had a host family when I studied in Halifax for 8 months when I was an university student.  I missed them so much and kept in touch with them after my exchange program for a long time (over 20 years!!), and they even came to my wedding as my "Canadian" parents!

Do you remember this year's Culture Series "Tea and Sweet"?  I told you that one of the key concept of tea ceremony is "ichigo-ichie (一期一会)" which literally means "One opportunity, One encounter."  I think every little encounter here is almost "cosmic" .... even the fact 20 of you and I are spending this spring together here.   How about the Japanese students who you met at the dorm or outside of the dorm, other international students, your Japanese teachers, and your host family?  It was all coincidence but somehow we met.   Yes, you might meet some of them several times (or more than several times) from now on, but you can never have the same time with the person again. So, today's dinner, fun karaoke with your friends, the chat you had with your roommate, walking back from the station with your friends.... treasure every encounter as it can be the last time in your life. Enjoy every encounter because it may not come to you again.

Please send ありがとう(thank you) to your host family to show your appreciation.  And if you want to, you can always keep in touch with them and look forward to another encounter with them.  You never know...maybe some day they might be at your wedding!!









  with Jeremy's finger












Alan ate this cute food with his host family!

No comments:

Post a Comment