poster 2016

poster 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

May 21-22: Japanese Teachers Conference

I participated in the Japanese Teachers Conference on the weekend (both Sat. and Sun.).   There are a lot of inspiring and meaningful  presentations and demonstrations and I learned a lot! There are so many teaching materials and resources sold at the conference and I spent TOO MUCH money there!

On the way back from the conference, I saw oranges on the tree on the street. I am from Hokkaido and living in Calgary, so I had never seen oranges on the tree before!  Besides, it is still May!  Not summer yet!  Well, it has been so warm and it was 28-29 degree on the weekend!
  

After the conference on Saturday, I met up with one of my old students who have already graduated and is currently working as a JET teacher.  He and his girlfriend took me to Roppongi Hills Mori Tower.   Since we missed the SKYTREE the other day, in the rain, that was the first tower I was on and the Tokyo night view was very nice.... especially with Salor Moon special exhibition  behind me (ha-ha)!










After the conference on Sunday, I stopped at Shinjuku to meet my old TA (YT-kun) from 9 years ago!!  He is actually a Senshu university graduate and went to school with one of the current study abroad coordinators (YY-kun) at International Academic Affairs Office at Senshu.   Such a small world!   I also learned that YY-kun (the person who is currently working at the International Office) used to be a RA (Resident Assistant) and hosted the very first exchange students from U of C led by Fumiko-sensei.  YT-kun (the TA from 9 years ago) was involved with this international opportunity through his friend, YY-kun, back then and met the U of C students and Fumiko-sensei there.  That was why he came to Calgary to study and ended up working as a TA for the whole year which was 9 years ago!  Such a long history here!
This program seems to connect people to people, and this connection (人とのつながり) is such a powerful force.  The current success of this program is all piled on these "senpai" and other people's good action and intention!! Thank you very much!


While I was walking around Shinjuku, I stopped at Shinjuku Central Park and found "Niagara Falls" !?!?   Well, to be honest, it was nothing like real Niagara Falls, but it was named "Shinjuku Niagara Falls"!   If people here who have seen only this one ever go to the real Niagara Falls, they will be so surprised!!! (ha-ha!)







No comments:

Post a Comment